search this blog

Saturday, August 04, 2007

the rehearsal


I'm back at First United Methodist Church for another fabulous wedding! Brittany and Tyler are getting married today and I'm heading out the door, almost as I type to meet the guys for some golf. Well, they will play, I will shoot. That's always fun for some nervous swings, let me tell you.

I've been slowly getting caught up after Elizabeth's funeral and really doing alot of thinking about purpose and life and most of all time. Not that anything will change drastically in my work schedule or anything, but simply being aware and present in your day to day tasks, and really giving your all to that task, mainly for the Glory of HIM. That's the best way to put it.

Another thing I've been thinking about it is all the ways to approach this craft I love, from both mind and spirit. I've always loved the images that speak to me emotionally, and I need to remember to fill myself up with those once in a while. Instead of what I think my client wants or needs. It's about being true to yourself in your shooting. I hope I can explain a bit without confusing myself. I tend to do that when I try and verbalize or spell. Sometimes I understand it in the fog of my brain so much better.

When looking through the lens, the feeling, the essesnce of what you do and shoot, it has to be of YOU. A part of you must come through and does when I pull that camera back up to my fat cheeks. I love shooting! I do! I could do it all day long. I lvoe that feeling I feel when I'm witnessing a moment between humans, and I'm snapping those moments and thinking how cool is that second is forever remembered.

A danger involved in that blessing we have in witnessing, is when you let others seep into those threads on your filter and effect what you are making. Sometimes we let what we read on a message board or what our competition has done or is doing at the moment, and let that affect what we are taking and thus it doesn't allow for that image to be REAL. Sure it happened, but we tend to think more than just become as the shutter is pressed, and I'm not saying some thinking shouldn't be involved. It must! I mean, we do have to make sure it's in focus and hey...they aren't big black blobs in the viewfinder. LOL But what I'm trying to ramble about here, is there are so many ways to photograph that moment, and what makes the image speak to you and most of all to the individual you are photographing, is that it's a part of YOU and them that is true.

It's fine to be inspired by others, but stay true to yourself in what you are capturing and seeing. This is where the joy in the craft is involved. This is where that inner part is enjoyed. Don't forget the inner part! It's what moves inside of you when you see a great image. And hopefully, a great image you took.

stepping off the soap box.

On a side note, literally, check out the cute little box in the sidebar of this blog. It's a twitter account and I update it periodically through the day. More useless information than anyone could possibly ever need. There ya go.




I could spend hours in this church photographing the stained glass.












4 comments:

Toni 7:37 AM  

You're right...too easy we forget! We are blessed that God has given us a passion to be wackos...lol But we do get tooo "caught up" thanks for this post. I have been lost as well. Love ya friend!!!!! or Yoda!!! HAHA

Anonymous 11:41 AM  

Enjoyed reading your posting today. You know I keep up with you & your work here on the blog and always enjoy the postings of your work, but also your life.

Always enjoy seeing First Methodist - takes me back to mine & Casey's big day there.

Oh, just a little bit of news on us - we are having a baby, a boy, due the 17th, but c-section is this Friday the 10th! Thought you might like to keep up a little bit on those you have photographed over the years!

Christy Loafman

Patty 7:12 PM  

Somehow in the real moments of life, in the experiencing our lives, I do get distracted and go into "auto pilot", doing by wrote what should be by passion and capturing the photographs, but not creating the moments along the way. I totally understand what you said, Kristin. My grandmother's birthday would be tomorrow... she would have been 100 years old. And I find myself missing her so bad it hurts. Anyway, thanks for reminding me.

kristinbednarz 7:23 AM  

Hi, Christy.

Your wedding at FUMC was one of the first with the "tunnel light". Great day! And I loved your bright cheery flowers. Congrats on the baby! I'll be thinking about you two!

Kristin

Blog Archive

sitemeter

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP