search this blog

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

confirmation

Sunday, June 7th, Kalyn celebrated her confirmation at St. Joseph Church. It's a pretty BIG deal and I was so thankful I could be there and take part, not only as a parent, being proud of her progress, but also as a sponsor to Rebekah, Kalyn's very best friend.



In the teaching of the Roman Catholic Church, Confirmation, known also as Chrismation,[6] is one of the seven sacraments instituted by Christ for the conferral of sanctifying grace and the strengthening of the union between individual souls and God.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church in its paragraphs 1302–1303 states:

It is evident from its celebration that the effect of the sacrament of Confirmation is the special outpouring of the Holy Spirit as once granted to the apostles on the day of Pentecost.

From this fact, Confirmation brings an increase and deepening of baptismal grace:

  • it roots us more deeply in the divine filiation which makes us cry, "Abba! Father!" (Romans 8:15);
  • it unites us more firmly to Christ;
  • it increases the gifts of the Holy Spirit in us;
  • it renders our bond with the Church more perfect;
  • it gives us a special strength of the Holy Spirit to spread and defend the faith by word and action as true witnesses of Christ, to confess the name of Christ boldly, and never to be ashamed of the Cross:

Recall then that you have received the spiritual seal, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of right judgment and courage, the spirit of knowledge and reverence, the spirit of holy fear in God's presence. Guard what you have received. God the Father has marked you with his sign; Christ the Lord has confirmed you and has placed his pledge, the Spirit, in your hearts.



Of course the Bishop was on hand for the celebration. AND the Knights of Columbus were there "falling out" as they call it. Very cool, since Devin is a 4th degree. I actually got photos of him with his feathers!

During the mass, Rebekah and many others (including Kalyn) got up and shared how going through the process of confirmation has blessed the in their life. Very cool and very moving to hear your child speak from the heart in front of our body of Christ.

It was difficult for me to remain in my seat and just be a part of the celebration instead of PHOTOGRAPHING the event. I loved it! But a part of me so wishes I had better photos. I'm going to try and remember this event in my head and heart in hopes that I won't forget the feeling that day!


Of course photos afterwards! Kalyn, Rebekah and Danielle.



This is Lillie, Kalyn's sponsor. We've known Lillie for over 20 years. She's been on family vacations with us, babysat my girls since birth and just a wonderful person to share this time with Kalyn.

Here's me and Rebekah with some heavy editing done on all my wrinkles. :)


Devin in all his glory!!! I love this series of photos. TOO CUTE!





Kalyn's saint.

Danielle and her sponsor, Claricye Andrews.

The entire group squinting into the sun. Yep. I told you "I took the day off". LOL


Summer Zoe and me just capturing the moment.


It's not legit without a personal photo with the Bishop.


0 comments:

sitemeter

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP