search this blog

Monday, September 03, 2007

the aspens


I love Aspen Trees.

They are able to survive intense forest fires as the roots are below the heat of the fire, with new sprouts growing after the fire is out. However, aspens do not thrive very well in the shade, and it is difficult for aspen seedlings to grow in an already mature aspen stand. Fire indirectly benefits aspen trees, as it allows the saplings to flourish in open sunlight on account of the burned landscape. Lately aspen has increased its popularity in forestry, mostly because of its fast growth rate and ability to regenerate from sprouts, which makes the regeneration of the forest after harvesting much cheaper, as no planting or sowing is required.

That was copied straight from Wikepedia.com, which I love, but this time let me down. We were talking about what elevation the aspen tree grows at and I know it ain't "west texas elevation". does anyone know? If so, please leave a comment so I can know and record it in my "journal of Labor Day Warriors".

It's my favorite tree. I love the white bark, and the "quaking leaves". I just think it is a symbol of "pure air" to me.

We were in New Mexico this weekend for our 12 Annual Labor Day Warriors Trip. I'll post pictures next, but first.... I had to post the Aspens.









0 comments:

Blog Archive

sitemeter

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP